Novak Djokovic wins Italian Open, now has most Masters titles in his bag

https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

World number one Novak Djokovic won a record 36th Masters title by beating Diego Schwartzman in the Italian Open.

The Serb, playing in his first tournament since being disqualified from this month’s US Open, won 7-5 6-3 in the final to ensure he goes into next week’s French Open on a high.

Italian Open : Djokovic wins, now has most Masters title wins to his name

Djokovic, 33, drew level with Rafael Nadal last month on the all-time list of Masters winners with his Western & Southern Open title.

Most Masters 1000 Titles 

Novak Djokovic 36
Rafael Nadal 35
Roger Federer 28
Andre Agassi 17
Andy Murray 14
 

“I’m super pleased,” Djokovic said.

“It was a great week, a very challenging week. I don’t think I played my best tennis this week but I think I found my best tennis in the decisive moments.

“I’m proud I managed to needed to find that fifth gear when I needed to.

Watched by a crowd of about 1,000 socially distanced fans, Djokovic got off to a poor start against Argentine eighth seed Schwartzman, but finally got the grip on the set and match and won 7-5, 6-3

It is Djokovic’s 81st career title and fourth of the year and sends him to Roland Garros with a spring in his step after his humiliating exit from the US Open, where he was defaulted for accidentally hitting a ball at a line judge. 

The French Open starts on Sunday, with Nadal seeking a record-extending 13th men’s singles title in Paris.  

The post Novak Djokovic wins Italian Open, now has most Masters titles in his bag first appeared on InsideSport.



No comments

Powered by Blogger.