I’m way cooler on the internet than I am in person, and it gives me anxiety

TwitterFacebook

This post is part of Me, online, Mashable's ongoing series digging into online identities.

"Chill the fuck out," my internet self is constantly shouting to my real-life self.

See, I exist as two personalities: internet me and real-life me. Don't we all? Living in a world of constant connection has led to these funhouse mirror versions of ourselves — they look like us but they're slightly distorted, exaggerated, never quite shaping into a distinguishable human form. 

With social media, the funhouse effect is even more amplified. In many cases those identities become proxies for our real-life selves. The internet me interacts with hundreds, if not thousands, of people every day. Real-life me? Well, real-life me would love nothing more than a couple hours of silence and maybe, on some days, to speak only with the person delivering my Seamless.  Read more...

More about Social Media, Anxiety, Identity, Online Identities, and Culture

from Mashable https://ift.tt/2JR9rBE

No comments

Powered by Blogger.